Last night I saw Guardians of the Galaxy and it was awesome! I went to the AMC Burbank 16 and even ran into the AMC Movie talk crew which was awesome and they were really cool and nice people and as luck would have it, I even got to sit next to them at the theater so overall that was a win, and then you throw Guardians of the Galaxy on top of everything and it’s a pretty awesome night. Overall I thought the film was amazing. On par with Days of Future past and almost as good as Captain America: The Winter Solider. The pacing was perfect, It was fuuny, visually it was the best Marvel has done to date, and the action was Avengers quality. Below are my five main takeaways form Guardians of the Galaxy. Let me know what you guys think!
5) Marvel took their patented humor/action to the next level: From the very first inception of this epic cinematic universe (Iron-man) to the film before Guardians of the Galaxy (Captain America: The Winter Solider), Marvel has manged to give moviegoers action packed films filled with hilarious humor and Guardians of the Galaxy is no exception. The action of this filmed is matched only by The Avengers and the humor of Guardians is second to none, and second place isn’t even close. Be prepared to be in awe by the visual effects and be prepared to laugh until you can’t laugh anymore.
4) Strangely resembles Star Wars: This should come as no surprise to anyone if you’ve seen the trailers or posters (this is a space epic), but I couldn’t help but feel like I was watching Star Wars when I saw Guardians of the Galaxy on the big screen, and trust me, that is a good thing. I feel like Guardians can be to our generation, what Star Wars was to kids growing up in the late 70’s and 80’s. Especially with the amount of consumer products we can get when the sequel comes around. Does anyone else feel that way?
3) Guardians of the Galaxy fit in the Marvel Cinematic Universe: Before watching Guardians of the Galaxy, I went in with the mindset that this movie would not fit into the current Marvel Cinematic Universe, and this is just a way to introduce Thanos, but man was I wrong. Without going into to any big spoilers, these characters can totally fit into the already established Marvel Cinematic Universe, and I wouldn’t be surprised if we get them in Avengers 3 in some capacity.
2) Rocket Raccoon will be a gold mine: Now, I have been saying this since the movie was announced, but after seeing Guardians of the Galaxy,it’s blatantly obvious that Rocket Raccoon will be a consumer product darling for Marvel/Disney.Heck I even think the character alone was a factor in deciding to green light this project. I will go out on a limb and say he’ll be the most profitable character that they have. Lets face it, we live in a world that loves to watch cute animal videos on YouTube and share cute animal pictures on social media, so it only makes sense that a cute, badass raccoon, will lead Marvel in a consumer product uplift, and it doesn’t hurt that it is voiced by Bradley Cooper. For me Rocket Raccoon is a buy ,buy ,buy! ( like my wall-street /N*sync reference?)
1) We will see more lesser known characters in both DC and Marvel movies: According to Box Office Mojo.com Guardians could very well earn up to a $100 million dollar opening weekend, which is saying a lot because we have had a slow year at the box office. With the success of Guardians of Galaxy, Marvel may feel they can gamble on more and more lesser known properties such as the Inhumans or a Nova movie. Also with the success of Guardians of the Galaxy, we have DC and Warner Brothers watching it. This could lead them to go with an Aquaman or something that’s not Batman or Superman, but DC and Warner Brothers do not like to take risk, so we shall see.